Victoria has 22 distinct wine regions, each with differing varietals and wine styles. While this diversity is seen a great strength for the state, it has also been a challenge to market from a tourism perspective.
Narrowing the message about Victorian wine will sharpen the focus on our competitive advantages and enable Victoria to greatly enhance the appeal to both domestic and international wine tourists, who may be overwhelmed the breadth of choice.
What are the five pillars?
The five proposed wine tourism pillars will aim to bring together premium food and wine experiences with other factors that have great appeal to the Chinese and US markets, namely coastal attractions and clean green natural beauty.
The five pillars are:
- Pinot Coast: including the Geelong, Gippsland and Mornington Peninsula regions
- King Valley Prosecco Road: focusing on the King Valley region
- Rutherglen Fortified Resurgence: focusing on the Rutherglen region
- Yarra Valley Culinary Destination: focusing on the Yarra Valley region
- Central Region: including the Bendigo, Heathcote, Grampians and Pyrenees regions
What will happen to develop these pillars?
To develop these pillars the following activities will happen:
- Research: will be undertaken to understand the various segments' understanding of and interest in the various regions and wine varietals within the Chinese and US markets
- Consultation: we will work with the regions and tourism stakeholders to understand the types of suitable products available and any gaps in the market that will attract these visitors to the region
- Planning: a plan will be developed to attract these visitors to the region
- Activate: marketing platforms, materials and products will be developed to attract these visitors to the regions.
Who is funding the project?
The funding for the project has been gained through the following parties:
- Australian Government
- Victorian Government
- Wine Victoria
- Pinot Coast regions: Geelong, Gippsland and Mornington Peninsula
- King Valley region
- Rutherglen region
- Yarra Valley region
- Central Region: Bendigo, Heathcote, Grampians and Pyrenees regions
What will happen next?
Wine Victoria is currently negotiating the funding contracts with the Australian and Victorian Governments. Once complete, a governance structure will be set up to deliver the project. We will then provide a project action plan with milestones - watch this space for more information.
Read the Media Releases: