Wine Victoria is seeking the services of three suitably qualified persons to become members of the Wine Victoria Board of Directors.
Wine Victoria is the peak body representing the Victorian wine industry. The organisation advocates on behalf of the wine industry ensuring our members remain a high priority with the Victorian Government and our national governing bodies. The association is supported by two key governance bodies, the Wine Victoria Board and a council of Victoria's 21 wine regions.
Our mission is to develop and enhance the long-term sustainability of the Victorian wine industry.
Wine Victoria advocates on the following issues:
- Wine Equalisation Tax and rebate
- Wine and health
- Export and trade
- Environmental issues.
The association represents 21 distinct wine regions, with more than 800 wineries that produce a wide range of wine varieties and associated wine tourism experiences. Our members span the state from east to west, north to south, with over 600 cellar doors that receive 1.5 million winery visitors per year. The Victorian wine industry has an estimated economic value of $1.04 billion per annum.
The wine industry is one of the last regionally-based manufacturing industries that value-adds. The Victorian industry directly employs over 2,600 regional Victorians in grape growing and winemaking, and indirectly employs more than 11,500 through administration, tourism and hospitality functions.
The Board of Directors must advise, govern, oversee policy and direction, and assist with the leadership and general promotion of Wine Victoria so as to support the organisation's mission and needs.
Note: To assist in the formation of Wine Victoria policies, priorities and build support amongst our membership, a background in the following areas is desirable:
- Product or tourism marketing
- Participation in the management or leadership of one of the 21 wine regional associations
- Organisational leadership
- Developing relationships with the Wine Victoria Regional Council
- Oversight and advice in the creation of strategy development and evaluation
- Assisting in the formulation and oversight of policy, priorities and procedures
- Financial management, including adoption and oversight of the annual budget
- Leading advocacy activities
- Promotion of the organisation
Note: Members of the board share these responsibilities while acting in the interest of Wine Victoria. Each member is expected to make recommendations based on his or her experience and vantage point in the community.
Length of term:
Three years, which may be renewed up to a maximum of two consecutive terms, pending approval of the board.
Meetings and time commitment:
The board of directors meets bi-monthly in the Melbourne CBD or Port Melbourne, teleconference facilities are also available.
Expectations of board members:
- Attend and participate in meetings on a regular basis, and special events as required.
- Be alert to community concerns that can be addressed by Wine Victoria's mission, objectives, and programs.
- Help communicate and promote Wine Victoria's mission and programs to the Victorian Government, national governing bodies and the wider industry.
- Oversee Wine Victoria's finances, budget, and financial/resource needs.
- Understand the policies and procedures of Wine Victoria.
For more information please contact:
Board Selection Committee Chair
(Commercial Director - Rathbone Wine Group)