Thinking of exporting to China? Wine Victoria in partnership with the Victorian Government has the assistance you need – The Wine Victoria China Export Academy!
The first of its kind in Australia, the Wine Victoria China Export Academy will feature a mixture of both one-on-one mentoring with industry leaders, team workshops and real-time in-market support. Our Academy aims to bridge the gap between aspirations and exporting to China.
Delivered by the team who designed the Wine Australia Growing Wine Exports (GWE) program, the Academy will take you out of the classroom and provide direct support to participants, enabling companies to take the leap and begin exporting to Australia's largest wine trading partner, China.
From your vineyard to China, we can make it happen. Come join the Academy!
Join the academy to start sending your wines from the vineyard to China.
What is the Wine Victoria China Export Academy?
The aim of the Academy is to increase the number of companies exporting Victorian wine to China. The Academy will build on the fundamental exporting knowledge participants have gained in the Wine Australia Growing Wine Exports (GWE) program.
Who are the Wine Victoria Export Academy mentors and why were they chosen?
One of the aims of the Wine Victoria China Export Academy is to build on the knowledge gained in Wine Australia’s Growing Wine Export program. It is because of this that the mentors are the same experts who delivered this program.
The mentors are:
- Paul van der Lee, Principal Vanderlee & Associates;
- Darren Oemcke, Founding Partner and Marketing Director, Hydra Consulting;
- Liz Mencel, Wine Export and Marketing Specialist, Flametree Wines & Principal Purple Feet Consulting;
- Simon West, Director, Full Glass Management; and
- Ron van Buuren, Founding Partner and Managing Director; Hydra Consulting.
Who is eligible to apply for the Export Academy?
The following criteria will be used to further assess eligible candidates:
- Be a member of Wine Victoria and a member of your region's wine association;
- Have completed both of Wine Australia’s Growing Wine Export (GWE) 1-day and 2-day workshops;
- Pay the $5,000 (+GST) subsidised program fee*;
- Submit your company’s completed Growing Wine Exports planning documents for review by our mentors:
– One Page Export Plan;
– Sales Plan (Excel); and
– Self-Review and Pitch.
- Have the financial capability to generate $100k (FOB Sales) of exportable product over a 12-month period into China (refer to the GWE planning documents above);
- Have the financial and time capability to undertake an export visit to China during the Academy program (see list of suggested programs below); and
- Complete a post program evaluation.
Cost of the program?
*The full cost of the Wine Victoria China Export Academy is $10,000 (+GST)– the program is subsidised by the Victorian Government to the value of $5,000 (+GST) for the first 20 successful candidates.
What to expect during the program?
- Business tools: Session guides, new templates and resources specifically developed for Victorian exporters;
- Personal assessment: A written review of your readiness to export to China based your application and program preparation work before commencing;
- One to one mentoring: 8.5 hours of intensive one-on-one mentoring in a location near you, with Australia’s leading export advisors;
- Wechat group: 6.5 hours of scheduled WeChat group and individual chat/text support;
- 2 hours equivalent of Chinese mentor follow-up support via WeChat in the latter stages of the program;
- Workshops: Participation in two group workshops, Victorian location to be confirmed closer to the workshop dates;
- Webinars: Access to a specific Wine Victoria China Export Academy webinar that will help you identify and access distribution channels;
- Q&A: Access to an online portal with a range of commonly asked questions and answers.
Where is the Export Academy located and how long does it go for?
The Export Academy program will be run in Victoria in a rage of locations that are accessible to each participant over a 12 month period.
Stay tuned for more information to come on how to apply!
Download our Frequently Asked Questions document here.